Sunday, August 19, 2012

Beach Bums

This weekend has had some sweet weather. It's been quite warm and sunny, just the way we like it. We had planned to have a beach day Saturday, but in the morning one of the girls didn't feel so well and ended up going to the doctor in Coxen Hole. She is now, A-Okay, and everything worked out great. We still ended up going to the beach but opted to stay close to home and go to Turquoise Bay. We planned to hitch-hike and I must say, it gets better and better every time. We hit the main road and we're all pretty tired from the get go and hoping we would get picked up soon, and as always right as we think it might not work out we got picked up. A nice man driving a Sherwin-Williams paint truck picked us up and off we went.
Sarah and I on our way there.
He was even nice enough to drive us all the way into the resort (there's a pretty steep long dirt road you need to take to get to the resort).

the long road into the resort.

It was a BEAUTIFUL day and we basically walked into our very own private resort because no one else was there on the beach when we arrived. It was pretty sweet. It was a perfect day, minus the heinous sand flies that ate all of us alive. But we had a sweet time lounging and enjoying the peaceful beautiful day. We ALSO got even more spoiled because a nice man, who I assume works there hooked us up with some free snorkels and a free kayak ride. Ingrid and I rode the kayak through some mangroves and basically felt like the coolest people ever, not to mention we were pretty boss at kayaking, definitely surprised ourselves. We also lounged by their pool and ate yummy food. Overall, a sweet day.

View from the pool

View from the pool 
We hitch-hiked our way back home, although it was a bit rougher this time around, took a bit longer to get picked up, but it seems to always works out.


starting our trek home

Hitch-hiking


We got to catch a pretty epic sunset. I'm sure you're all getting sick of all my pictures, but I still can't get over how beautiful it is here and I'm just feeling super blessed that I actually LIVE here!







Last night we also got a intense craving for ice cream, everyone was pretty pooped from the day and Ingrid and I wanted to get out and well YOLO, so we went and got some ice cream! Haha, Rachel, Ingrid and I took a cab because it was late and hitch-hiking at night just doesn't sound as appealing. Carlos, who lives downstairs met us there on his moto-bike. We enjoyed our ice cream with our cab driver at the "mall" here (the mall is basically equivalent to typical suburban shopping centers think Calle Real shopping center for you Santa Barbarians). It felt very American.

Ingrid and Carlos enjoying their ice cream
Ingrid REALLY liked her ice cream 

Today for church we went out to Oak Ridge. I had another contact of a couple, Hank and Kathy, sent out by Reality Carp. I had emailed them before arriving and contacted them again earlier this week. I chatted with Hank during the week and arranged to check out their service at 3. This week we decided to split forces and check out 2 different churches. So Ingrid, Sarah and I went to Oak Ridge while Rachel, Krystal and Anny went to a church in West Bay. We got picked up at 1 and headed to Oak Ridge. We haven't been to the East end of the island, where Oak Ridge is much so it was so great to see another part of the island. Hank is seriously so great, so energetic and full of the Holy Spirit. We got fed a delicious meal, got to chat with him about his heart for Roatan and his community, and got to check out the service. We had a blast. Lots of loud music, dancing, and Jesus loving, it was awesome.

Overall, a great weekend. I'm feeling more and more blessed every day here. We start school this next week. Some of us start tomorrow and then all of us start Wednesday (I start Wednesday). I've been working on year-long lesson planning and have lots to do before class on Wednesday but I'm so excited to meet all my kids!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so adventurous Lina!! You are just rockin it in Roatan! Keep up the blogging; I'm enjoying it!!
    -rachie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH thanks so much Rachel!!! It's always so nice and encouraging to get comments, I don't get many haha! And thank you for reading!! Miss you all in IV so much!!!

      Delete